Re: 2.4 -> 2.6 kernel upgrade problem

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 09:06 -0800, shyamal wrote:
>     "Matt" == Matt Weber <matt@mattweber.org> writes:
>
>     Matt> Martin, I checked that as well, my output looks exactly like
>     Matt> yours.  Do you think this can have anything to do with
>     Matt> /initrd?  My /initrd is empty, is that how it should be?
>
> /initrd is usually a link to a file, just like /vmlinuz. Typically you
> will have /initrd -> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-* and so on. This is
> something the kernel installer will typically do for you.

/initrd shouldn't be a symlink to your ramdisk, it is used to pivot_root
inside of /sbin/init on the ramdisk itself.

> I would suggest that you edit yaboot.conf so that the initrd parameter
> points to the actual file (/boot/initrd.img.-*) that goes with the
> kernel you are trying and see if you can boot.

Matt, just use the 2.6.10 kernel I built for you. The ramdisk for the
Debian 2.6.9 kernel looks fine but pivot_root still fails. I'll build
that 2.6.10 kernel with a ramdisk and we'll see if it fails. That should
narrow the problem down to initrd-tools and we'll take it from there.

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>