Re: Installing on a Dual CPU G5 Powermac?

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:30:33PM -0800, shyamal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install/run Debian on a PowerMac G5 (two 2.0 Ghz
> CPUs)?
>
> I tried the d-i images but either (a) those images simply lack the
> smp kernels or (b) there is some trick to installing on these machines
> that I'm not aware of.
>
> I can't realistically compile and build my own powerpc kernel unless
> there is a way to do it on Mac OS X (I have no suitable host machine
> left since my k7 based workstation went down with a mobo failure), but
> short of that I'll try anything to get Debian running.

We worked out some missing patches in the debian kernel for support of newer
kernels with benh, well, benh sent me the needed patches, and i added it to
the debian upcoming 2.6.8-11 kernel-source package, and will build a new
powerpc kernel and upload it, as well as the .udebs used by the daily-built
d-i images in the upcoming week. I will probably have test d-i images earlier,
altough they will probably fail due to mismatched modules if i don't use the
monolithic target.

Friendly,

Sven Luther