Re: MLton on PowerPC: voltaire's Christmas wish?

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 09:42:01AM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> > Well, having more RAM is always nice, but IMHO there's something wrong with
> > MLton when it needs that much RAM for building.
>
> It's a whole-program optimizing compiler...
> That means it analyzes all of the source code at once.
> When compiling a large project (MLton is ~145k lines) it needs memory.
>
> I agree that this is unfortunate; however, if you check out the runtime
> performance of MLton compiled applications, you'll see the advantages. =)

I shudder at the thought of having a language that allows for 145k line
programs that _need_ global optimization. Maybe we all should have kept
programming in FORTRAN forever ...

Re: building of that monster for ppc: your best bet is to find a ppc
developer who agrees to manually build it once in a while. Depending on
the current configuration you'd have to find at least one 256 MB PC100
DIMM for voltaire to reach 512 MB. Since voltaire copes just fine with all
other packages, I doubt you'll convince the treasurer to pay for that
upgrade.

	Michael