Re: MLton on PowerPC: voltaire's Christmas wish?

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 04:25:18PM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> > I am not planning on porting MLton to any platform with less memory.
> > PowerPC is the exception; lots of people use it and it can handle the RAM.
> > I've already done hppa and sparc. amd64, ia64, and alpha need some 64bit
> > cleanups, so I was planning on doing that after the easier 32bit ports.
>
> Maybe you want to get the other archs listed in N-F-U.

Or just not list them in the Architecture: i386, sparc, ... list?

> > Well, I'm in contact with the developers of MLton, and they seem to think
> > this is an inherent disadvantage of whole-program optimization. Their (valid
> > imo) argument is that requiring a powerful build machine is better than
> > requiring a powerful machine to run the resulting binary.
>
> Sure, but I wonder where to draw the line? Maybe next week another program
> want to have 2G of RAM or 1 TB of disk space to build... ;)

I don't think you can draw a line; the line is always moving.
As computer get more powerful, so should the autobuilders.

However, 320->512MB is not a big step. 1G is not necessary.

I think there is always a tension between what a program needs and what it
provides. I had hoped to show that for ppc, MLton is desirable. =)

--
Wesley W. Terpstra