Re: setting up TCP/IP

On Dec 18, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Antonin AMAND wrote:

froinds@bellsouth.net a écrit :
I'm pretty new to Linux. I need to know how to set up my NIC with a static IP instead of DHCP using terminal commands since I'll do it remotely through ssh.

First, you need to know which interfaces you need to configure.

# ifconfig

This will display your current network config, find something like eth0

Then, edit /etc/network/interfaces

this is the configuration for my lan interface :

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static

Here you go, you just have to restart your network :

# /etc/init.d/networking restart