Keyboard locked to uppercase

Hi all

Here:
Titanium IV
2.4.25-ben1
Debian/unstable

Anyone knowing a trick how to reset a keyboard with some keystroke, or
whatever, to its default values after it crashed?

The keyboard here became unusable while running an X/FVWM/GTK+
session: All keys suddenly became uppercase values when typing. I
started this X session from a console with
startx -- -dpi 82 > /tmp/xlog-`date +%y-%m-%d-%H:%M` 2>&1

Links I clicked in Firefox with the left mouse-button suddenly openend
in a new browser window instead of opening the new page in the current
one.

Pressing Caps Lock, ^D, whatever: nothing helped until I logged out
from X and got back to the console from where I started the previous
X: But even there everything I typed became uppercase: In this
situatian it's even impossible to shut down the machine from the
command line.

What helped in the end, I believe, was pressing something like
<fn>-Shift to get back to a usable keyboard.

Anyone knowing how to change such a situation back to normal, without
trial-and-error? The only idea I had so far was to write a command
like 'xmodmap .xmodmap' to a menu entry .. but I'm not sure whether
this could help ...

What can lead to such a crash?

The following must be some logs around the time the crash occured
(differently formatted for this mail):
/var/log/messages:
--------------------

Dec 16 15:36:49 debby gconfd (shorty-1542): SIGHUP received, reloading
all databases

Dec 16 15:36:49 debby gconfd (shorty-1542): Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
configuration source at position 0

Dec 16 15:36:49 debby gconfd (shorty-1542): Resolved address
"xml:readwrite:/home/shorty/.gconf" to a writable configuration source
at position 1

Dec 16 15:36:49 debby gconfd (shorty-1542): Resolved address
"xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only
configuration source at position 2

Dec 16 15:36:59 debby kernel: keyboard: unknown scancode e0 4c
Dec 16 15:37:13 debby last message repeated 3 times
Dec 16 15:37:49 debby last message repeated 2 times

The "keyboard: unknown scancode e0 4c" line probably was written when
I tried to get back to normal on console, after the crash ...

Thanks in anticipation
Best Regards

w.
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer                        gpg ID: 0AA7E825
Profile, Links: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer