Re: 2.6.8 kernel seems to have b0rked my iMac.

I run one of these with the 2.6.8 kernel.  However, I started with a
clean install from a recent Sarge CD, and didn't have any problems.  I
use gnome rather than KDE, so I can't say for certain that KDE will
work, but it sounds like your problems are happening way before KDE
launches.

Another note, I have an additional 128M of RAM and that is just enough
for adequate performance.

John

--

John  Koskie