2.6.8 kernel seems to have b0rked my iMac.

I'm trying to install debian-powerpc on an iMac 233 MHz/B. I'm trying to get it up to a 2.6 kernel so I can install a D-Link DWL-122 USB wireless adapter, but that's a whole different kettle o' fish.

The story so far: I used the first disk of Debian powerpc Woodyr0 to install the base system with kernel 2.4.18. No real problems there. Used tasksel to create a desktop environment with development ('cause I know I'm going to have to compile things later, but this thing is being set up basically as a web surfing box).

I followed the instructions at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html to first fill in stable, then upgrade to testing. All good, although KDE had some icon problems after upgrading from 2.2.2 to 3.2.2.

Logged into KDE as root, ran synaptic, and installed kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc, kernel-headers-2.6.8, and kernel-source-2.6.8. Everything seemed to go fine. I added initrd=/initrd.img to the boot section of yaboot.conf (as seemed to be required for the 2.6 kernel), ran ybin, and rebooted.

The system boots okay, but I noticed in the bootup that there were a variety of error messages when trying to initialize hardware, specifically eth0. (something about SIOC or similar, it went by too quickly to write down). The system booted into kdm just fine, but the keyboard and mouse do not seem to work. I *think* that the box is not actually hung, because the cursor in the login userid box is blinking.

If I had to guess, I'd say that all the hardware support somehow got omitted or messed up with the kernel upgrade, but I don't know how to prevent/fix that. I'm not even sure how to fix _this_ problem, other than booting off of disc 1 of Sarge and hoping I can mount / enough to hack yaboot.conf and the symlinks.

Can anyone direct me to a *current* guide to upgrading from 2.4 to a 2.6.8 kernel on this kind of iMac? Thanks.

Chris

--
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
~ M. Cartmill