Re: hotplug: unmounting a firewire external hard drive

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 02:27 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:17:34PM -0800, Adam Done wrote:
> > Now when I turn on the external firewire burner udev creates a sr0 and
> > then after using it I turn off the unit (it is a really noisy Lacie) and
> > then I turn it back on to use it again and udev creates the sr0 again
> > but after doing this a couple of times with any firewire device, udev
> > stops creating the block devices like it is telling me I used up my
> > limit and will not work again for me until I reboot.  Last night I got
> > every thing working burning a cd with nautulis but after doing nothing
> > to the system it on its own deciceds not to work.  It is like udev puts
> > time limits
>
> Is /sys/block/sr* still created when the dev. node isn't created anymore. If it
> is then it's a hotplug/udev problem. Otherwise it's a kernel problem.
>
>   Sjoerd
> --
> If the master dies and the disciple grieves, the lives of both have
> been wasted.

Ahhh, no /sys/block/sr* is not there.  I am looking at my kernel right
now and I  have all the proper ieee1394 and scsi modules as modules for
hot plug?  I still see the ieee1394 and scsi modules loaded currently
but now the system does not even respond to plugging in any ieee1394
device.

-adam