Re: Howto Reconfigure Mode_switch for xf86 keyboard?

Hello,

Hubert Krause wrote:
> after installing Debian Sarge on my PowerMac G4 I have a Keyboard Problem. I
> want to type symbols like at euro backslash, with the right alt key, but have
> to use the left Apple-Key.

Interesting. Having the Apple-Key as mode switch is exactly what I did
some extra fiddling for :-)

> As a workaround I have changed with xmodmap the
> Mode_switch to be on the right ALT key, but how do I change it systemwide?
>
> My keyboard section in XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
> EndSection

You can find a list of relevant options for the xfree86 rules in
/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst.

The following is my application:

,----[ XF86Config-4 ]
| Section "InputDevice"
| 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
| 	Driver		"keyboard"
| 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
| 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
| 	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
| 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
| 	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
| 	Option		"XkbOptions"	"grp:win_switch"
| EndSection
`----

BTW I had to tweak it with gnome-keyboard-properties to make it work
with Gnome, too.

All the best,
Nikolaus