keycodes console: "showkey --keymap" useless?

Hi All

Titanium IV here.
console-tools: Installed: 1:0.2.3dbs-55

I'm trying to change the keyboard map on console: I have to know the
appropriate keycodes for that ...
The problem is the keycodes shown by "showkey --keymap" differ heavily
from those in my current /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz. The latter works
a bit lousy, but at least I get the most important keys with it ...

E.g. when when I do a
showkey --keymap
I get a "keycode 51 press" when I press "3" ... this differs from what I
have in
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz: the latter says "three" has "keycode
4":
--------------------------
keycode   4 = three            section          threesuperior    Escape           Escape
        alt     keycode   4 = Meta_three
        shift   altgr   alt     keycode   4 = Meta_Escape
        control alt     keycode   4 = Meta_Escape

What did I miss? Or does this seem to be a "showkey" bug?

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer                           gpg ID: 0AA7E825
Profile, links: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer