Re: Want another buildd?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:00:58PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:29:08PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I've acquired a powerpc machine (an IBM RS/6000, 43p/240). It's
>What model is it ? is it already a chrp box ? What processor does it have ?

Unfortunately, no. It's a PReP machine with a pair of:

cpu             : 604r
clock           : 233MHz
revision        : 18.3 (pvr 0009 1203)
bogomips        : 465.30
machine         : PReP IBM 7043-240 (Doral)
upgrade cpu     : not present
scsi fuse       : ok
simms           : 0:32MiB 1:32MiB
l2 cache        : not present

with one removed for now. Nobody has yet done the kernel work to
enable the second processor on these machines under Linux and it has
stability issues under heavy I/O load with both plugged in. That's
something I'm hoping to work on soon.

>Could you test the yaboot version from :
>  http://people.debian.org/~luther/yaboot/yaboot_1.3.13-2.amiga.1_powerpc.deb

I would if yaboot worked on PReP.

>> installed and not doing much at the moment. Would another buildd be
>> useful? I have a full local mirror on the same LAN, and I've already
>> got sbuild and friends up and running...
>Also, did you use debain-installer to install it, and if so, did you write an
>installation report.

The 43p-240 needs a special kernel for initial installation; I used
the patched 2.4.19 from Leigh Brown's site at
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ and a woody install, followed by a
sarge upgrade.

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.