Re: Want another buildd?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:05:00PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:00:58PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:29:08PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I've acquired a powerpc machine (an IBM RS/6000, 43p/240). It's
> >
> >What model is it ? is it already a chrp box ? What processor does it have ?
>
> Unfortunately, no. It's a PReP machine with a pair of:
>
> cpu             : 604r
> clock           : 233MHz
> revision        : 18.3 (pvr 0009 1203)
> bogomips        : 465.30
> machine         : PReP IBM 7043-240 (Doral)
> upgrade cpu     : not present
> scsi fuse       : ok
> simms           : 0:32MiB 1:32MiB
> l2 cache        : not present
>
> with one removed for now. Nobody has yet done the kernel work to
> enable the second processor on these machines under Linux and it has
> stability issues under heavy I/O load with both plugged in. That's
> something I'm hoping to work on soon.

Oh, well. Good luck with it, and you just volunteered for prep d-i work, which
should be ok if the kernel is. I guess we need some kind of prep-installer
which moves the kernel to the prep partition so that the machine can boot
though.

Is it a real prep one or a ppcbug one ?

> >Could you test the yaboot version from :
> >
> >  http://people.debian.org/~luther/yaboot/yaboot_1.3.13-2.amiga.1_powerpc.deb
>
> I would if yaboot worked on PReP.
>
> >> installed and not doing much at the moment. Would another buildd be
> >> useful? I have a full local mirror on the same LAN, and I've already
> >> got sbuild and friends up and running...
> >
> >Also, did you use debain-installer to install it, and if so, did you write an
> >installation report.
>
> The 43p-240 needs a special kernel for initial installation; I used
> the patched 2.4.19 from Leigh Brown's site at
> http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ and a woody install, followed by a
> sarge upgrade.

Could you try booting both 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 debian powerpc kernels on it, and
maybe provide config files, patches, whatever as bugreports so that the debian
kernels support it ? There were some prep support patches going into 2.6.8
recently.

Friendly,

Sven Luther