Re: Search for patched yaboot testers ...

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:46:46PM +0100, Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the following four systems where I could test the patches.

Ok, that would be great,

> PowerBook Alu 1 GHz 15"
> PowerBook Pismo G3 400 Mhz
> PowerMac G3 blue/white

Not sure if the prismo is already a newworld, i guess it is.

> Pegasos I (Here I never managed to install a stock Debian kernel, I have a
> custom compiled kernel based on the Gentoo 2.6.8-pegasos-r2, then used a
> chroot to install a minimal Debian system and managed to install Debian on
> it. But the way was quite complicated). When I tried 10 days ago to boot your
> kernel from
> http://people.debian.org/%7Eluther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/cdrom-minimal/2.4/vmlinuz-chrp.initrd
> I was unable to boot into it.

Don't worry, the pegasos 1 will not run yaboot without an OF upgrade anyway.

But you can look at the special pegasos 1 netinst iso at :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/pegasos/sarge-pegasos1-netinst-2004.10.25.iso

And follow the README there.

> What are the steps which you would like to test? E.g. on each system I have
> one spare partition but I cannot afford to format the whole disk. I have
> however a external FireWire-HD which I could wipe out each time.
> Did you apply the patch for an external firewire
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/11/msg00056.html ?

no, don't think so, is this a linux or yaboot patch ?

> Is it sufficient to just install the minimal Debian system?

No, actually i am only interested in yaboot booting, not real installs the
following test scenarios are possible :

  burn http://people.debian.org/~luther/yaboot/monolithic/mini.iso

And boot from it (holding down the c key). Once you are in debian-installer,
the yaboot cd test is complete, and you can send a report to the bug number.

The next test would be to install the patched yaboot package on a running
system, run ybin, and reboot. Keep a bootable media at hand, to restore the
machine in case of trouble, altough i belive there will be no such problem.

This would complete the disk record.

The last test asked by Ethan is a net install, but there i cannot help much,
since i am not familiar with netbooting on pmacs. basically you have to setup
a tftp server, put the yaboot and yaboot.conf there, as well as the kernel and
initrd, and press n on the booting machine. Not sure about the specifics so
this may be wrong.

> Do I have to write a install report for each installation for each machine?

Well, just do them all and sumarize in one follow up mail to the bug report:

Thanks for your help,

Friendly,

Sven Luther