Re: True state of support for 12" iBook G4

Jesus Climent <jesus.climent@hispalinux.es> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 10:48:54AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>>
>> Non-free sucks. But non-free drivers is better than no driver at all.
>
> Pretty much means they play ball and win. As long as they dont realize open
> standards and open specifications help them to sell more, non-free keeps on
> sucking as much as it has always sucked.

When you have to buy a separate piece of hardware (such as a video card),
it is easy to choose with respect to availability of free drivers.
But with laptops, you have to make compromises because you can't replace
parts (like the conexant modem for iBook).

My current disappointment and rebutal for Apple hardware is that sometimes
you can't even get any non-free drivers (Airport, recent Nvidia and ATI
cards).
Now, why do some manufacturers refuse to rebuild their non-free drivers for
powerpc at all (Nvidia)? I suspect Apple asked them not to do so; it
can't be for technical reasons ...

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org