Re: kernel-image-2.4.27-powerpc-smp-pmac unstable with CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:36:37PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:05:19PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > If we're discontining support for 2.4.x kernels on PowerPC, then we should
> > stop shipping packages for them.
[...]
> > Otherwise, support them.
>
> Sure. but it is not the recomended thing to do. Same as you still ship X 3.3
> (you still do, right ?), but if i ask you to run my nice Radeon 9800 on it,
> you will probably suggest lots of un-nice things to me :)

Actually, support for XFree86 3.3.6 was discontinued some time ago, and
packages of it are no longer shipped.

> > Moreover, I doubt highmem+SMP configurations are all that rare,
> > particularly on recent hardware.
>
> Recent hardware means probably G5 machines, and in that case you _SHOULD_ be
> using the 2.6 kernels. Debian-installer has already dropped 2.4 installers for
> both power3 and power4/g5 based kernels.

I have a dual G4/1.25GHz, and it's less than a year old.

> And know that i got to all the effort of making the 2.4.26 and 2.4.27 powerpc
> package mostly only for your benefit.

You shouldn't have done it as a personal favor to me ; you should have done
it because not doing so meant anyone using those kernels was vulnerable to
security exploits.

Again -- if no one's supposed to actually use those kernels, we need to
stop shipping them.  There is no other excuse for not shipping security
fixes.

Incidentally, the point you've raised is utterly irrelevant to SMP/highmem
support.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The National Security Agency is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      working on the Fourth Amendment