Re: problem installing linux on an IBM RS6000 44P-170 machine

Hi,

Shi Jin writes:

> I have been working on this machine for more than a week but still
> not able to install linux on it.  I can either boot from network
> using tftp or from the floppy, both using the Suse
> zImage.chrp-power3 image. But when the kernel loads, it looks like
> using frame buffer and showing me a graphical penguin logo which
> unfortunately make the whole display a mess thus I could hardly see
> anything.

Try different kernel images.  For example, people on this list would
certainly be interested in seeing a report of the new Debian
Installer, available here:

<URL:http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/power3/netboot/
vmlinuz-chrp.initrd>

If that doesn't work either, try going headless altogether.  This
works by attaching a serial console and passing the argument
console=ttyS0,9600 to the kernel.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!