Re: powerbook fan behaviour, therm_adt7467

On 26 Oct 2004 at 18h10, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Hi,

> I've never seen the remote2 temp reach anything beyond 50 IIRC. No
> danger of shutting down there. I've in fact reduced both CPU and 'GPU'
> limit to 50 in my version of the module. Even honoring your intention
> to keep the code stupid :-) , I think we need to check OF data on
> sensor and fan locations to pick the right strategy for the
> thermostat. My current hack to start both fans together is ugly as
> hell, otherwise I'd have sent a patch already ...

Maybe we could do that, yes... I'd have to let you do it as I don't have
a powerbook handy. Switch both fans if the 'gpu' sensor is in fact not
near the GPU, leave as is otherwise... Or something like that.

> Might be done with sliding averages for the stepping ... switch on or
> off based on current temperature, adjust speed based on combination of
> average and trend. Won't be done in a few lines...

That's why I want to avoid it : So much logic for just a little driver
is a bit overkill imho.

> > > does anybody know how OS X handles the fan speed i.e. at which
> > > temperatures does it start the fan(s),
> >
> > Same as us (+/- 4 degrees).
>
> How can I get the temperature readings in MacOS X?

No idea, I just looked in the source to get the right values when I
first implemented the driver. my iBook did never boot OS X :)

--
Colin
  "If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."