Re: Frech keyboard with xfree

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:02:18PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:12 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > I never fuly understood why you needed to rebuild the xkb module though, nor
> > do i really know what should be the right way for it to work in the first
> > place, never having used a pmac before.
>
> I didn't rebuild anything ...
>
> One thing I have in my hacked keymap is defining Alt as Mode_switch to
> get the special combos using Alt, like Alt-shift-L for | or Alt-N for ~
> (dead key) etc...
>
> I think it should be possible to tell xkb to just do those combos with
> Alt- without actually defining Alt as Mode_switch  or whatever else...
>
> Looking at the way the Darwin driver works, it just fills the X keymap
> tables internally with proper translations based on the sets of
> modifiers, whatever those modifiers are.
>
> It's just a matter of understanding XKB syntax, which is beyond my
> abilities :)

Well, there is this fr_new keymap floating around, which works some, but has
two remaining problems :

  1) it refuses to get loaded all by itself when selecting it in the
  XF86Config file, you have to xkbset (or whatever it is) it to get it
  working.

  2) metacity has trouble with the alt+tab thingy, i works with the fr one and
  alt, but not with fr_new and the apple key.

Need time to investigate this, and fix it in a correct manner. The X
maintainers have not been helpfull on this though, so we are mostly alone on
this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther