floppy root.img sizes

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong list for this...

I have been testing daily sarge floppy install images from
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/
for a few weeks on OldWorld Macs.

That is, until October 8. Since then, root.img seems to have swollen to
a size bigger than I can dd onto a floppy.

What's puzzling to me is that the sizes reported by any tool I use to
download the images is less than the ls -l report by around 4.2KB.

Example: in gFTP today's root.img shows 1468006 on the server and
1509557 on my hd.

I posted
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00088.html
about my troubles, but got no takers.

Any advice, no matter how mean, will be appreciated.

Duane Cottle