Re: Cannot boot via yaboot

Barry Hawkins wrote:
| List,
|     Hello.  I have a problem booting my system that's similar to issue
| that others have had.  So far the workarounds that I have found in
| searching the list archives haven't gotten me out of this jam yet.
|     The machine is a Titanium PowerBook G4 500MHz; the install was sarge
| upgraded to sid.  The 2.6.8-powerpc kernel was installed via the Debian
| Installer.
|     Apparently when I installed mol, the kernel-image-2.4.25-power3 and
| its associates were installed, and horrible things happened to my yaboot
| configuration.  I was able to boot with my Debian Intaller disc and
| mount the filesystem.  I then entered a shell and inventoried the
| contents of /boot:
|
| (The permissions, owner, etc. are left off of the transcription)
| /target/boot # ls -la
| System.map-2.4.25-power3
| System.map-2.6.8-powerpc
| config-2.4.25-power3
| config-2.6.8-powerpc
| first.b
| initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc
| initrd.old -> initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc
| patches-2.4.25-power3
| second.b
| vmlinux -> vmlinux-2.4.25-power3
| vmlinux-2.4.25-power3
| vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc
| vmlinux.coff-2.4.25-power3
| vmlinux.old -> vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc
|
| The contents of /etc/yaboot.conf were:
| (Header omitted)
| boot=/dev/hda9
| device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
| partition=11
| root=/dev/hda11
| timeout=100
| install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
| magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
| enablecdboot
| macosx=/dev/hda12
|
| image=/boot/vmlinux
|         label=Linux
|         read-only
|         initrd=/boot/initrd.img
|
| image=/boot/vmlinux.old
|         label=old
|         read-only
|         initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
|
| When either of the labels is selected, the following message appears
| (The initrd.img in the message below is the one for 'old') and yaboot
| seems to perform the ofboot function:
|
| Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
| Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
| boot:
|   Linux                      old
| boot: old
| Please wait, loading kernel...
|    Elf32 kernel loaded...
| /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:11,/boot/initrd.img.old: No
| such file or directory
| ramdisk oad failed!
|
| Apple PowerBook3,2 4.1.8f5 BootROM built on 03/21/01 at 11:49:53
| Copyright 1994-2001 Apple Computer, Inc.
| All Right Reserved.
|
|   I find that odd, because when I manually specify the same (at least I
> [...]
I ended up installing Debian onto a spare partition, and to my amazement
the Debian Installer had set up a yaboot entry for my original Linux
install!  There were 3, actually, and they all had the same label.  I
removed the two for vmlinux and ran ybin -v.  I tried rebooting and
choosing the label that referred to my main install, and it booted just
fine.  I can't say that I understand what happened, but I'll take it for
~ now.

Goodnight,

- --
Barry Hawkins