Battery status not correctly seen - how to fix?

Hi all,

Since recently, I have been having a problem with battery monitoring on
my iBook (white, dual USB).  It fails to detect that the battery is full
- in fact, it thinks the battery is empty, so wants to shut down if the
power cord is not plugged in!  This appears to be a fairly low-level
problem, since "cat /proc/apm" outputs a line ending with "1% -1 min".

The problem is intermittent -- sometimes it goes away after waiting five
minutes, other times not -- but very annoying.

Any suggestions?  Running kernel kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc 2.6.8-6, and
yes, I have apm_emu in /etc/modules-2.6.

thanks and regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544