Re: General question regarding CPU fan

On Monday 27 September 2004 00:29, Michael Rex wrote:

 Hi!
> I've been playing around with Linux and my iBook G4 lately to better
> adapt the first to the latter and now I have a question regarding the
> driver for the iBook CPU fan (the therm_adt746x module).
 Sure, this is the module I use.

> Without the module loaded the iBook is as quiet as it is when running
(snip about the fan does not start even with high temps in MacOS X)
> overheating. So my first question is: Is there any kind of hardware fan
> control built in to the iBook?
There are some sensors in the iBook built-in.

Well, the thing I am afraid you are not aware is that the module can be
configured.
You can load the module with some parametres to limit the temp and the fan
speed at the moment. Something such as:
#modprobe therm_adt746x limit_adjust=X fan_speed=Y
where:
 X is the 50+X temp in degrees (obviusly celsius) when the fan is turned on
Y is the temp fan speed (the speed of the fan working at 48º, for example).
The default is 82 (off) and not sure of what they are, but 128 is runing-1,
256...

> Does one really need to use therm_adt746x
> or can one safely run the iBook without it?
 If you want to fry it...

> The second questing is: When using the module it provides some files in
> /sys/devices/temperatures to get information on things like temperature,
> fan speed and so on. When the iBook is all quiet, cpu_fan_speed reports
> 82, and when the fan gets nosiy, it reports some higher values. Does
> "82" actually mean "the fan runs at 82 rpm"? Or is it just some synonym
> for "the fan isn't active"?
 If you do a fan_speed=0, the #cat /sys/devices/temperatures/fan_speed tells
you "82", so I think it means off. I cannot hear it, so I hope it is stoped
and me not deaf.

> I hope someone here has a deep enough insight into this hardware/driver
> stuff to answer my questions.
My insight is not vey deep, I hope I do not give you anything incorrect.

I hope this helps

 DISCLAMER: Do not take anything I say very seriously, I may be wrong.