Re: Brightness control on PowerBook G4 1.33GHz, 12", GeForce FX Go5200

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:08:51PM +0200, Djoumé SALVETTI wrote:
> Le lundi 09/27/04 Jens Schmalzing <j.s@lmu.de> a écrit :
> > Once offb has been started, you cannot get rid of it anymore.  In
> > order to use rivafb, you must build your own kernel and build rivafb
> > into it.  But beware, last time I tried the rivafb driver it crashed
> > my machine.
>
> I use a patch to control backlight with offb (attached).
> AFAIK, backlight control with rivafb is not yet included in vanilla
> or debian kernels.
It included in mainline and works. Problem is that the machine freezes
when using rivafb when switching from X to the console. I'm looking into
that now.
 -- Guido

> +		tmp_pmc |= (1 << 31); // backlight bit
> +		switch(level) {
> +			case 15:
> +				tmp_pmc |= 0x05340000; break;
> +			default:
> +				tmp_pmc |= (341 + (level * 53)) << 16;
> +		}
> +	} else {
I'd rather use the table from the nvdriver to get more accurate
brightness controls.
Cheers,
 -- Guido