Re: Oldworld Serial Console

> I don't have the *exact* settings here at work, but I'll send them to
> the list when I get home. However, here are the required
> steps, as I see it:

OK, I checked my config and will try to add some useful info :

> 1. Get OF to put its console on the serial port : set 'input-device'
> and'output-device' to 'ttya' or 'ttyb' (i *think* the OF names for
> serial ports don't change very much between
> machines)

For the 'modem' port, (ttyS0), those settings would be :

uqbar:/home/eqdar# nvsetenv
[...]
input-device    ttya
output-device   ttya
[...]

> 2. Get the kernel to talk to the serial port : compile it with the
> mentioned options, and add a corresponding command line parameter,
> e.g console=ttyS0,38400..., as said before

from /etc/quik.conf :
append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,38400n8  [...]"

> 3. Get init to talk to the serial port : I didn't got this right -- I
> still don't have the output of rc scripts on my serial console (If you
> get this right I'll be happy to know).

Finally OK -- see above : don't forget to put the console you want
/dev/console on last in the kernel boot-time params (thanks to Jens and
Geert)

> 4. If you want to be able to log in via serial, edit /etc/inittab to
> have getty serving the serial port : there already is a commented line
> in the file, you just have to uncomment it and edit to your taste.

eqdar@uqbar:~$ tail /etc/inittab
# Use 38400 bauds, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit,
# and XON/XOFF to match OF settings
# TERM is either 'linux' or 'xterm', so don't specify it

T0:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400

> 5. Get a terminal emulator on the other end (minicom, can't think of
> others but I'm sure there are plenty), and configure it to listen at
> the same speed on your serial port. As I said, I use 38400 bauds, 8n1
> and xon/xoff.

man minicom ;-)

Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header