modifying/modified powerpc boot-floppies (was Re: Testing newoldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies

Hi,

On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:03, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> The resource is called CMDL.  More detailed instructions are here:
> <URL:http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2000/06/olh_ppc_miboot.html>

ok, this is cool for everybody who as macos. but i would really like to see a
linux-only solution.

a question: the daily build powerpc floppies still use miboot - will this
still be included within sarge or will they get removed / replaced ?

an idea: for woody there was patch-floppy-image.pl (attached), which is a
simple perl script which will search and replace the boot params in the
floppy image. couldn't we provide a similar solution for sarge ?

I tried it (with
http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/daily/powerpc/floppy-2.4/boot.img
from september 13th), but had no luck. I used "hexedit" and found parts of
the commandline around 00006008 - but I only found parts of it.

Looking at boot-floppy-hfs.img from woody
(http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44/)
I found the complete commandline with hexedit at 00018e74 - that's why
patch-floppy-image.pl work back in those days.

another idea: sven, could you please daily build two (2.4/2.6) more boot
floppies, with the extra kernel commandline parameter
"mirror/suite=unstable" ?! That way, it would be much easier to test sid d-i
on oldworld machines which can only boot from floppy - and where going back
and manually downgrading the d-i priority is a very boring task as oldworld
machines are mostly slow. would be very nice & helpful!

regards,
	Holger