Re: airport and encryption

i dont think MacOSX will be much help trying to get
wireless going in linux.

what WAP are you using?

Dean

Adam Done wrote:

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 17:09, Dean Hamstead wrote:

well my understanding is that the 'password'/secret
is just a human interface ontop of normal encruption keys
i wouldnt be suprised if it just breaks your secret into
hex and just uses the first 6 letters or whatever

as for setting the key on the WAP, that would depend on
your WAP

i assuming your using an airport? im not, like i said im
just using a generic 802.11b WAP. depending on how you
configure your airport WAP, through macos or via the open
source java configuration tool

i dont see why it wouldnt be using secrets properly, but
i would say that the driver is relying on the hardware
to make sense of your input, but in macos the OS converts
it and loads it.

(i wish i had my ibook on me, i could be more help to you
but alas im at work)

dont get discouraged though! the airport card works great
in linux!

Yes, that seams to be my challenge to find what the secret key is and or
convert the password to the secret key.  I am soooo new to wirless esp
in linux so it is def a challenge.  I even looked in os x to find where
the secret is kept but I do have to admit that I am more familar with
linux than os x's UNIX.

-Adam