Re: Debian on RS/6000 E30

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 05:48:01PM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

> Hi Amadeu,
>
> I'm not in the debian-powerpc list, but a friend is and forwarded your mail to
> me.
>
> I'm also from Brazil (UNICAMP) and I'm running debian on that machine, I'm
> using linux 2.6.6 with the attached patch. Just note that on 2.6 my video

The attached patch seems to be for 2.4.26 though.

> card is not supported (it's a s3 trio), with 2.4 it's supported but it's
> monochrome (blue actually). Since I use the machine as server I don't care.

Can you please try :

  1) both the 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 debian-powerpc kernels ?

  2) booting d-i on your box with :

    http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd
    (2.6.8 kernel)

    and :

    http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/2.4/vmlinuz-prep.initrd
    (2.4.27 kernel).

And tell us about your experience. I don't think the s3 trio fb is builtin in
those, but please give the serial console a try and tell us how this works.

Also, consider filling a bug report against kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc and
kernel-image-2.4.27-powerpc for all the problems you see, and asking for the
inclusion of s3fb or whatever its name is.

> I already submitted those patches to debian people and they said it were to be
> included in sarge, but I don't know if it's... Leigh said he has a better and

Whose debian people, what is your bug report # ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther