Re: problems with kernel-source-2.6.8-5 on powerbook 15" 1.33GHz

Hi,

Sam Zoghaib writes:

> I have just bought a Powerbook 15" 1.33GHz.  I installed Sarge on
> it, then upgraded to Sid.  The kernel installed by the installer is
> 2.6.7.  However, I have not been able to run a 2.6.8 kernel.  I've
> had a few different problems.

[...]

> Note that this running kernel uses initrd. I don't want to use it
> for my own kernel, so of course ide support was built-in.

> Would you have any idea ?

First, install the kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc package and see if that
works.  That rules out a problem with the 2.6.8 kernel itself.

Then, check your yaboot.conf.  You are not using an initrd kernel, so
make sure yaboot doesn't load an initrd, and passes the correct root
device instead.  Also, make sure you have run ybin to actually use
your changes.

Finally, keep an eye on the output of the kernel as it boots.  You
should see messages stating that it enabled the IDE subsystem as a
whole, enabled the various IDE controllers, found the hard disk and
the CD drive, checked the partition table of the hard disk.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!