Kernel options required to support IDE disks w/o initrd

'ello,

I've been trying to compile a kernel for my PowerBook5,4 that doesn't
need an initrd.  I have changed the Debian defaults by making the
following built-in instead of modules:

ext3
ide-disk

The kernel still refused to mount /dev/hda (my / partition).  I then
disabled devfs support (to make absolutely sure /dev/hda2 would exist)
and also turned generic PC IDE support into a built-in option instead of
a module.

The kernel still panics on startup.  The exact error is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" on unknown-block(0,0)

I can't find any other options in the kernel that seem related.  Clearly
there must be something else, though.  Does anyone know what it is?

(I started out with kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc package and have been
using its .config as a base.)

TIA, bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>