Re: How to boot w/o initrd?

'ello,

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 05:18, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Precisely.  The yaboot command line does not support loading an
> initrd.  You have to configure this in yaboot.conf.

Aha! Thanks!  Now a lot of things suddenly make sense!  (Though I
_really_ hope this feature is added in the future!!! :-))

> What I do when I play around with new kernels is the following: I put
> the stanza
<snip>
> known good stuff.

Good plan.  I will have to do something just like that; should save a
lot of headaches in the future...

> You are thinking VGA console here, aren't you?  I'm afraid that this
> is not an option for PowerPC hardware at all.  The framebuffer console
> is the only way of writing stuff to the video hardware.

LOL.  Hmmm, well I suppose that is one of the side-effects of having a
very clean and relatively legacy-free platform.  Time to bust out
SVGATextMode and the larger fonts, then :-)...

Thanks (again) for all of your help.  I think things will probably start
going better for me now that I know what you've just explained...

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>