Re: Modules missing in vmlinux-prep.initrd (netboot)

Sorry Sven, i missed the "reply to all" :/

Sven Luther wrote:

| On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 03:50:39PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:

|>Hi,
|>

|>Ok, Sven, i got your kernel booting on the OF prep machine, with the
|>daily netboot image (btw, now the other ppc (PPCBug) does not work...).
|

| We have only the prep kernels, what target for kernel_building are you
using ?
| mkvmlinuz knows how to create prep zImages only, so i guess that for
those we
| need to add support for a ppcbug arch in mkvmlinuz. For this, we need two
| things from you :

Nope, the problem does not seem to come from the kernel this time. The
machine was running fine until i upgraded with the 2.6.8 debian kernel.
For netbooting problem, it is more a problem with the on-board controller.

|   1) a reliable way to autodetect a ppcbug ppc box. mostly done by probing
|   /proc/cpuinfo for the other subarches, but i somehow feel that
machine will
|   show up as prep.

I will tell you that once this machine will have booted. Give me a few
minutes to mount the drive on another machine.

|>It boots quite well, switches from serial to console once the video card
|>(matrox millenium) has been detected, and lauches the setup.
|>
|>It then freeze on hardware detection, and all i got from the logs are
|>some modules missing:
|>ncr53c8xx
|

| You need to use the sym53c8xx_2 driver, which is available, please
fill a bug
| report against the ddetect package, giving your lspci output (both
normal and
| with -n), as well as telling you are running a 2.6 kernel.

i didn't see sym53c8xx_2 either in
/lib/modules/2.6.8-powerpc/kernel/drivers/scsi. Just scsi_mod, sd_mod
and sr_mod.

|>usb-storage (i don't care, i don't have usb controller)
|>ide-detect     |
|>ide-generic    | idem, i don't have ide.
|>ide-mod        |
|>ide-probe-mod  |

| Well, since this is a netboot image, those should be pulled in by the
second
| hardware detection phase once net is configured. Please put this info
in the
| bug report.

Yes, I am wondering if the freeze does not finally come from the DEC
controller, that gave me a lot of problems earlier.

|>Before filing a bug report, i am calling for advice:
|>do i miss something ? Is there something i need to do to get the modules ?
|>And by the way, as i am writing, how can i get expert mode from netboot
|>installation ?
|

| you can just go back in one of the menu questions, but you can also
boot with
| DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium or low. Not sure if prep allows for command line
| arguments when netbooting though, i can simply say :
|
|   ok> boot net vmlinuz-chrp.initrd DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium

bah, i have the prompt for the boot parameters on the serial console.
As i am asking a lot of questions, is there a lot to disable the ide and
~ dec controller on the command line ?

Thank you for all.

Jerome