Re: forgotten root password

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 19:26, JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Giovanni Ridolfi a écrit :
>

> >It doesn't work :-(
> >
> >I have yaboot 1.3.13, and this is my "screen output"
> >
> >boot: init=/bin/sh
> >Please wait, loading kernel...
> >/pci@f400000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3, \\init=/bin/sh : No such file or directory
> >boot:
> >
> >it seems to be again at the beginning.
> >

> You need to write your kernel name following by the init option...
> example :
> Linux init=/bin/sh
> where Linux is my kernel name...
>
> you can find this help at this URL :
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-crackroot

         [ ... ]

... good page: but i never succeeded to get a new passwd by editing "the
second data field in the password file so that it is empty" as described
on that page: the only thing that worked here was, IIRC, to type
'passwd'
at the prompt after
init-2.03# mount -n -o remount,rw /
init-2.03# mount -avt nonfs,noproc,nosmbfs

The "passwd" changing part is a bit tricky: I had a different keyboard
on this 'init-blah' stage, different from the one I have when logged in
to a fully running system. So I had to make sure the keys I thought I
was typing when choosing the new password were actually the keys that
were really typed in.

I'd test the passwd on the rescue prompt before actually changing it,
otherwise you'll have to start all over when re-booting to the full
system when it does not recognise the new passwd (because the keys, as
mentioned, might be different compared to the rescue stage ...).

> Good Luck !

Dito.

Best regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer                           gpg ID: 0AA7E825
Profile, links: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer