Re: Wanted: PVR Mentor

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Sven Luther wrote:

m> Most Hauppauge WinTV cards are bt8x8 cards, which would work with
m> this driver. However, the WinTV PVR series that the original poster
m> referred to is unrelated. They use a real-time hardware MPEG2
m> encoder and I don't think anybody's written a Linux driver for it yet
m> (let alone one that would work on a non-Intel platform).

       There's one under development (still early but some people are
already using it for MythTV):

http://ivtv.sf.net/

I don't know how difficult it would be to port to a PPC platform.

The driver is x86 only, depends quite heavilly on the x86 hardware and
isn't easilly rewritten for PPC. I had to experience this the hard way,
buy buying a PVR250 for my Pegasos, driver didn't compile, so I made some
hasty hacks, but no that didn't help, so PVR250 and PVR350 and any other
board using the same chip will not work on PPC untill someone starts a new
project to write an platform undependent driver or a special one for PPC.

Well, maybe someone will.

Now, there is also the freevo project, who is rumored to work on ppc, well, at
least i heard of one guy who had it working on Pegasos. And i think i have
seen a package sitting in the NEW queue :/

Yes, freevo does work on PPC, I have it installed on my PegasosII, but still to get the PVR250/350 to work you would need the IVTV driver, which don't work on anything else than x86.

I would love to fix that driver, but I sadly lack your experience with kernel code and powerpc hardware, so I'm quite far from beeing able to make one.

--
                                                             (. .)