Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.8 and unwanted modules and hot keyboard

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 10:59, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:27:24PM +0200, Frank Murphy wrote:
> | What's the best way to disable these modules? modconf will let me remove
> | the kernel modules (I assume via rmmod underneath) but on reboot, the
> | modules are inserted again.
>
> First you need to determine what loaded the modules in the first
> place.  Do you have hotplug installed?  Is there any mention of the
> modules in /var/log/boot, /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog?

OK, well how can I do that? I do have hotplug installed. I looked in the three
files you mention for both xfs and jfs, but I only see one mention for XFS
in /var/log/messages:

Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 1
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: SCSI subsystem initialized
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: hda: max request size: 128KiB
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: hda: 11733120 sectors (6007 MB) w/512KiB Cache,
CHS=12416/15/63, UDMA(33)
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [mac] p1 p2 p3
p4 p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10 p11 p12 p13
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: SGI XFS with ACLs, large block numbers, no debug
enabled
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Aug 25 22:13:25 polo kernel: Adding 131064k swap on /dev/hda10.  Priority:-1
extents:1

How can I find out what loads these modules?

> | It seems that /etc/modules is no longer used for 2.6 kernels.
>
> /etc/modules is used.  /etc/modules.conf (and thus /etc/modutils) are not.
>
> | BTW, I don't currently have discover installed, but I will if that's the
> | new way exclude modules.
>
> discover is used to discover what hardware your system has and load
> the drivers for it.  You don't need discover unless you need that
> functionality.
>
> | And has anyone else noticed that the wristrest part of the system gets
> | hot after a long hibernation? I see in /var/log/XFree86.0.log this
> | warning: "Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)". Does anyone
> | else get this?
>
> I don't have any portable Apple machines, but if APM is unavailable,
> then that means the display isn't going to shut off even when you
> close the lid.  (well, unless the display shutoff is hardware
> controlled like the old Dell I get to use sometimes)
>
> Does your system have the 'apm' module loaded?

It wasn't, so I loaded it and X doesn't complain anymore. I guess I can add
apm_emu to /etc/modules to get that loaded on each boot.

Thanks,

Frank