Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.8 and unwanted modules and hot keyboard

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:27:24PM +0200, Frank Murphy wrote:
[...]

| What's the best way to disable these modules? modconf will let me remove the
| kernel modules (I assume via rmmod underneath) but on reboot, the modules are
| inserted again.

First you need to determine what loaded the modules in the first
place.  Do you have hotplug installed?  Is there any mention of the
modules in /var/log/boot, /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog?

| It seems that /etc/modules is no longer used for 2.6 kernels.

/etc/modules is used.  /etc/modules.conf (and thus /etc/modutils) are not.

| BTW, I don't currently have discover installed, but I will if that's the new
| way exclude modules.

discover is used to discover what hardware your system has and load
the drivers for it.  You don't need discover unless you need that
functionality.

| And has anyone else noticed that the wristrest part of the system gets hot
| after a long hibernation? I see in /var/log/XFree86.0.log this warning:
| "Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)". Does anyone else get
| this?

I don't have any portable Apple machines, but if APM is unavailable,
then that means the display isn't going to shut off even when you
close the lid.  (well, unless the display shutoff is hardware
controlled like the old Dell I get to use sometimes)

Does your system have the 'apm' module loaded?

HTH,
-D

--
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13