Re: Debian + The new PowerBook G4

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 14:30, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> 'ello,
>
> I was advised to ask here after asking a similar set of questions on
> debian-users (didn't realise there was a dedicated group).  Anyway, I
> was thinking of getting the 1.5GHz 15'' model and have a few questions.
> I'd be really grateful for any information you may have on the
> following:
>
> * Does anyone know of any production issues this time around (as there
> were in the past, I hear)?  I've had a google but not found much.
> Having said that I wouldn't really know where to look as I never had a
> Mac before :-).

I have the 1.25Ghz 15" (superdrive and backlight keyboard) since
November 2003 without problem.

> * Does Debian testing/unstable work on these machines?

Yes, perfect.

> * Is it possible to eradicate all traces of OSX from the hard disk?

Yes, but be advice, I will need OSX, for example, to upgrade the
bluetooth firmware :)

> * Would it be possible to re-install OSX at a later date if I'd done the
> above.

Sure.

> * Does it void the warranty (I'll be getting the 3 years extended
> support) if I remove OSX and/or install Linux?

No, I think not.

> * What bits of the hardware does Debian _not_ support (e.g. ACPI,
> Wireless, Bluetooth, DVD-R, 3D graphics, sound)?

Things that work:
Sound
Backlight keyboard
Light sensors (for backlight keyboard)
Bluetooth (I use with Palm T3 and Motorola V600)
FireWire (I use with IPod 40Gb)
CD-RW
DVD
DVD-W
Graphics 2D

Things that don't work:
Airport Extreme
3D
Suspend to ram

> * If I got a PS/2 -> USB adaptor for my Natural keyboard, is it likely
> to work with the machine?

I don't try it, but my mini mouse Microsoft (yes, this company makes
great hardware :) work great

> * Have you any miscellaneous tips/advice for someone coming from an
> almost exclusive x86 background (using Sid/Sarge on the desktop and
> Woody on a server for the past 1.5 years)?

Yes, be prepared to have a lot of fun with a very good piece of
hardware.
This is my second Apple (my firs was an Apple ][) and my next notebook
will be another Apple :)
I came from Sony Vaio and SuSE, and I will keep with Debian+Powerbook

> Thanks very much in advance for any info you may have,

My configurations files and things that I use you can find it at
http://isadora.homelinux.net/debian/powerbook/

> best regards,

Cheers
   Federico

--
My software never has bugs.       | ASCII Ribbon Campaign         /"\
It just develops random features. | For Standards-Complaint Email \ /