Re: [OT] iBook hardware problems

On 7/27/2004, "Jérôme Marant" <jmarant@free.fr> wrote:

>Quoting bill traynor <btraynor@orphancode.org>:
>
>> Jérôme Marant wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I bought an iBook one year and a half ago, and I recently
>> >experienced some hardware failures.
>> >It seems that closing/opening the iBook managed to damage
>> >the video signal: I have sometimes problems with colors,
>> >some snow and there is sometimes no signal at all depending
>> >on the position of the screen.
>> >
>> >Has anyone experienced this before? It is easy to be repaired?
>> >

>> Sounds like the Inverter Board Cable Assembly wire is eroding.  It runs
>> through the right hand hinge and can easily wear down with normal
>> eveeryday use.  I've replaced mine twice and reinforced the last
>> replacement with a little electrical tape.
>
>Is it easy to replace oneself, I mean no risk to damage everything else
>while repairing this?

Depends on what you mean by easy?  To replace this part, you need to
disassemble the iBook almost completely, which can be a real pain.  If
you love disassembling hardware though, you'll have fun.  The official
Apple manuals are out there, just google for them.

>> You can see discussions in the Apple Support forums for your brand of
>> iBook usually in the Usage or Vidoe forums.  The cost of a replacement
>> depends on where you buy it.   Here's a sample:
>>
>> http://www.pbparts.com/shop/nic.html

Everything you could ever want to know about this problem and how to fix
it is in the Apple support forums.