Re: Installing Sarge on an oldworld S900

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:04:07PM -0700, Eric David Hedekar wrote:
>      Hi, I've had a lot of trouble getting Linux off the ground.  I am
> running an Umax S900 (oldworld mac clone).  I was able to get woody loaded
> and working but not able to get my graphics card (an imicro TwinTurbo) to

The fbdev driver is in the kernel, unless Jens has kicked it out in the
meantime.

> work with xwindows and because I'm a Linux newbie I need my xwindows.  I

Try the fbdev driver.

> have been told that the newer kernel that Sarge has will allow xwindows to
> work fine but then I have run into another road block.  I am unable to get
> the sarge installer to load from bootx.  When I click on the linux option at
> the bootx window the screen goes black and never comes back (the little
> light at the bottom of the monitor doesn't change so I know some thing is
> running but I am unable to see it).  Can anyone point me in the right
> direction as to which initrid to be using to get this started?  Or is there
> something else wrong?

Did you try the miboot floppies at :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc-small/floppy/

Well, not those from yesterday, as those where broken, but try the
july-11 ones, or the ones from july-14.

Friendly,

Sven Luther