Re: Some 2.6.6 kernel questions

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 10:18, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:58:21AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > > And what about kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc ? Does it work fine also ? And
> > > if not did you fill a bug report. If yes, what motivated you to build
> > > your own kernel over using the debian provided one ?
> >
> > I never trust distribution-provided kernels. They are
> > often full of questionable patches, obsolete, and way
> > too generic for my taste. They might not even use the
> > larger 12x22 console font.
>
> Bah, whatever. try to stay current, the current trend is to have most
> debian patches either dropped, or merged upstream. Furthermore, there
> are some upstream kernel maintainers part of the kernel team since a few
> weeks, and i believe they probably have a better judgement about patches
> than even you do.

If you have anything good, post it to the linux-kernel
mailing list. Perhaps you could also put the bare patches
on a web page somewhere. On this list, it would be nice
to hear when patches are added/removed from the collection
and why.

> As for obsolet, well, that is a bit ridicoulous, as
> 2.6.7 is the latest release, and it includes some backport of patches
> that will go in 2.6.8.
>
> As for the genericness, since most of the stuff is being modularized,
> this is no more the case. And if you have some trouble with the config,
> please fill bug reports.

I'm not suggesting that the Debian kernel is done poorly.
It has to work for everybody though, and thus isn't optimized
for me.

It's nice just copying 3 files to install. It's nice to
not concern myself with /etc/*mod* and /lib/modules.

> > The 2.6.7 kernel is certainly obsolete now that
> > 2.6.8-rc1 is out. :-)  I'm only half kidding; the
> > newer kernel has lots of nice fixes and isn't
> > generating lots of bug reports.
>
> So ? when 2.6.8 will be released, we will package it.

Sure, but I want the new stuff NOW. :-)

> > I know exactly where my kernel is, and exactly where it
> > came from:
> >
> > make menuconfig
> > make vmlinux
> > mv System.map-2.6.8-rc1 /boot
> > mv vmlinux-2.6.8-rc1 /boot
> > cp config-2.6.8-rc1 /boot
> > joe /etc/yaboot.conf
> > ybin
>
> Yes, sure, but you also do know the same about the debian kernel. OR at
> least you could.

Sometimes I simply must run the latest official kernel.
I may need to test procps on it or create a patch for Linus+AKPM.
Thus, I must be familiar with this way of handling kernels.

If I ran Debian kernels, I'd be mixing two systems. I don't
know what the install scripts might do to /etc/yaboot.conf,
and it might be unpleasant to find out. Sure, I could rip
apart the *.deb with ar and tar, then dig through all the
packaging control files... but that seems like a lot of work
and risk for little gain. (eh, what gain?)