Re: Booting installer on RS/6000 43p-140

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:40:38PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Still not working on my old Prep.
> >

> >None of them ?
>
> None.
>
> >>I get stuck to "Now booting kernel..." with both cd and netboot
> >>vmlinuz-prep.initrd.
> [snip]
> >This is
> >normal, as the serial console was not activated in the 2.6.7-3 kernel,
> >which was included in the .udebs only yesterday or even this monring.
> >This means that starting from tomorrow the netboot image will have it,
> >and starting from wednesday, it can be used in the netinst iso.
>
> Ok, i won't see it. I am leaving for my only week of holiday this year
> (i wish i could have been in France, he ;) )
>
> >Are you able to netboot ? IF so i could prepare you a custom kernel or
> >something, and you could send me back the serial log ?
>
> Kernel was netboot'ed as cdrom does not load.

Ok, why you don't use the netboot d-i then ?

> >>For memory, my machine is a Bull Estrella 300 (Prep Utah PowerStack II
> >>Pro4000 to /proc/cpuinfo and has OpenFirmware).
> >

> >Yep, i have heard of this one. ...
>
> Perhaps in a thread about it, one month ago ;)

Hehe.

>  Mmm, it has OpenFirmware ? Enough to
> >boot the -chrp kernels ? Could you give them a try ?
>
> Last time, it did not work, so i did not try this time either.

Ok, so PReP is the way to go.

> >Also, we are very interested in getting a prep machine booting on the
> >-2.6 kernels/d-i, and i would gladly work with you to make that happen.
>
> Same as for the -chrp. And you have no 2.6-prep.initrd ;)

Not yet, but it will be available soon. In this evening's build
hopefully. I had hopped it would be built today, but apparently Kamion's
upload missed the deadline yesterday.

> Will see that later, but if it works, i will enjoy updating d-i
> documentation. As soon as i am back to climatizated office ;)

Ok, thanks.

Friendly,

Sven Luther