Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:35:06AM -0500, David Stanaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 01:06 -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 22:35, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> > > try using mplayer
> > >
> > I tried using apt-get install mplayer but nothing exists....  Also I
> > have tried other players.. vlc. totem.. xine.. but nothing works.. :(
>
> Have you tried ogle? I use that to play DVDs on my TiBook 450MHz.
> It supports DVD menus too which is a bonus compared to mplayer, vlc
> etc..

vlc appears to support menus for me, and on several different discs.

In what way does ogle support menus that vlc doesn't?

Playing DVDs Just Worked(tm) for me on my new PowerMac[1]; I was very
pleased.

1) I installed vlc.
2) I built libdvdcss for myself and installed it.
3) I dropped a DVD Video disc into one of my optical drives (/dev/hde).
4) I ran "vlc /dev/hde".

It's a shame libdvdread cracks the CSS keys every time.  I wish it would
cache them in $HOME/.css-keys or something.

If there's any info I can offer that might help someone else get DVD
playback working, please let me know by mailing this list.  I'm running a
PowerMac G4 ("mirrored drive door" model), dual processor.

[1] My old PowerMac desktop didn't have the horsepower (400MHz G3).

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.