Re: Its dangerous to my Powerbook G4 1Ghz 17" first generation run debian on it

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:33:48AM +0200, rustyBOFH wrote:

> 	Hi folks,today i had an extrange expererience with my alubook, it
> 	was reboot suddenly without any reason. Then surfing the web i saw this
> from the yellowdoglinux homepage:
>
> 	"  - PowerBook 17"
>
>  	While video, sound, ethernet, and the primary functions are
> enabled with a set of beta ISOs available from the mirrors,
> thermal management is _not_ enabled. Therefore, running YDL on 	 the
> 17" MAY CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE and is therefore not 		 recommended
> at this point in time. There is no slated schedule 			for
> support of thermal management.

Well, from my experience, YDL is currently almost as old as woody, so i
am not surprised they make this kind of disclaimer.

> 	 As a result, we do not support the PowerBook 17"
>

> 	Is there any possibility that may computer will be broken using
> 	debian GNU/Linux sid with kernel 2.6.7¿?. I am using debian in this laptop
> from time ago, but now i am a little scared (i have pain, sorry my english
> isn't very good :-), please anybody has any clue about that?, ben maybe?.

No idea. I suppose that if the powerbook 17" did really need cooling not
to melt, and said cooling was not implemented in debian, then it may be
problematic. Not sure what the power management support is on those
right now though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther