Re: FAQ?

George Wright wrote:
> > 1 - i have a "british" keyboard (even though apple's is not even close to a
> > british pc keyboard) and i would like to be able to have this mapped
> > correctly. at the moment a lot of the non-character (such as tilde) keys
> > are not mapped correctly. i selected the british keyboard during install...
> > but i suspect this is the british PC keymapping, not the apple one.
>
> I have a keymap file I wrote for my "british" english keyboard on my PowerBook
>
> 15". It's attached.
>
> I use Gentoo Linux on this particular PowerBook and it's
> in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty, but I'm sure it's quite simple to do for
> Debian. When I get home in a couple of days I can let you know how I set the
> keymap properly for my Debian PowerBook.
>
> By the way - I mapped the '#' character to the ± key directly below the escape
>
> key as I couldn't think of any other key to put it on.

thanks... since you probably have the same keyboard as me i'm sure we'll be able
to work something out :-)

the keymap you sent me however does not work as a drop-in replacement in
/etc/console. i suppose it has to do with all the including and thigs (it is a
very small fie compared to the one i am using). i'll wait and see ow you did
this on debian.

you say you mapped hash (#) to ±... i never use this key, so i suppose that
would be a good idea. the hash key is supposed to be mapped to altgr-3 however.

i'd also like the apple key to be the meta key... but if it works out to be alt,
thats just fine, as emacs can use alt as the meta key anyway.

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts