Re: How can I use kernel patches (kernel-tree 2.6.6)

Hi Jens, Hi Barry, Hi all

>> I have apt-getted the testing kernel-tree 2.6.6. This package has some
>> kernel patches (as far as I know), but I have no idee how to use these
>> patches. What do I have to do that I can use the features of kernel
patches?

>kernel-tree-2.6.6 has pulled in kernel-source-2.6.6, which contains a
>kernel tree with the Debian patches already applied.
>
>> I know the whole kernel compilation procedure (on a newbie level) from
>> 'make menuconfig' to 'dpkg -i ...', but i have never patched kernel
>> sources. Is there a debian-kernel-patch-howto?
>
>There is an option '--added-patches' for make-kpkg.  You may want to
>install kernel-patch-powerpc-2.6.6 and apply that on top of the Debian
>kernel source.

Somewhere I read something about the option '--added-patches'. But should
patches not be applied before the command 'make menuconfig'? I ask
because I always use 'make-kpkg' after 'make menuconfig'.

What does 'apply that (kernel-patches) on the top of the Debian kernel
source' mean?
Do I have to 'bunzip2' the file 'patch-2.6.6-1.bz2' from '/usr/src/
kernel-patches/all/2.6.6/debian/' into '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.6'

and then 'patch -p1 patch-2.6.6-1'

and then 'make menuconfig'.

Thanks in advance for helping me

Roland Wegmann