Re: Apple built-in Bluetooth not appearing in /dev

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:17:02PM -0400, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2004, at 2:36 AM, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 06:53:53PM -0400, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> >>List,
> >>	I am running a 2.6.5-rc3-ben0 kernel with a sid installation on a
> >>1.25GHz 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4, which has built-in Bluetooth.
> >>Although bluez-utils installed just fine and all of the messages on
> >>startup indicate that hcid, rfcomm, l2cap, etc. are starting just
> >>fine,
> >>I have no Bluetooth device available.  At first I thought it was
> >>because I did not have an appropriate device driver compiled as a
> >>kernel module, but I think I have eliminated that possibility (see
> >>kernel config excerpt below).  When I run 'hcitool dev', nothing shows
> >>up:
> >
> >That's correct. I just noticed that on boot the bluetooth interface on
> >my
> >laptop is down. In which case hcitool won't show any devices. You can
> >use
> >hciconfig to turn on your bluetooth device (works like ifconfig)
> >
> >  Sjoerd
> >
> Sjoerd,
> 	Would I be able to use hciconfig without a /dev/hciX entry on which
> 	to issue my commands?  My attempts to use the program thus far have been
> unsuccessful.

There are never /dev/hci* devices. Bluetooth device work somewhat like normal
network interfaces.

> For example, the following command returns nothing:
>
> $ hciconfig -a

That should indeed output something.. I saw in another mail that you already
tried hid2hci... Do you have the right usb controller compiled in ? Otherwise
i don't know what it the problem could be..

Sjoerd
--
Heisenberg may have been here.