Re: Cannot boot any cd/floppy/kernel on OF prep machine

Sven Luther wrote:

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 04:34:17PM +0900, Jerome Walter wrote:

Sven Luther wrote:

Sorry, i won't snip dmesg ...

Huh ? i think you reached the limit of my english knowledge with this
one.

Perhaps because it is not english... I got used to [snip] parts of too long quotes on usenet. Sorry ;)

pcnet and sym53c8xx drivers are included, not sure about the ide
controller though. I don't know about an fbdev driver for the cirrus
logic, and am not sure we include the vga console. That said, a serial
console (Well, with a null modem and a second box running minicom for
example) should be enough for debugging the kernel. If you have such a
setup, please boot the d-i kernel with the additional console=ttyS00
console=tty0 option, in order to see where it fails. I suspect it
probably is the missing fbdev/vgacon.

Mmmh, i do have serial ports, i do have a Cisco serial cable, but it seems my predecessor lost the adapters, so i cannot plug anything. I would have done it a long time ago, as howtos about rs/6000 are dealing with it. Perhaps i will have to buy a cable...

Also, make sure you boot install/powerpc/vmlinuz-prep.initrd on the
netinst iso, or use the netboot image.

Ok, i have it booting by tftp, i found a db9/db25 adapter to plug a serial console. Now how do i specify the console thing ? if i set file to be downloaded as 'vmlinuz console=ttyS0,tty0' the space is taken as end of ip setting, and the coma too. Is there a way to change the vmlinuz file to contain the parameters by default ?

Then, to test debian-installer, you need to boot the prep kernel, which
you find in install/powerpc/vmlinuz-prep.initrd. This may work out of
the box, but if not, we need to know the kernel config used in the
working kernel, and/or see for ourselves what is going wrong.

Still "The attempt to load boot file failed" and jumps to hard drive boot.

Huh, this should not happen. can you install the
kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-prep package on the working system (in
sarge/sid though) and try booting /boot/vmlinuz-2.5.25-powerpc ?

The machine is woody prod running 2.2.x kernel. I will not play with the kernel on it. I have bad experience with the 2.4.25 kernel on the Estrella 200.

Do you per
chance have a serial console setup or something such, for getting early
kernel log info ?

It would have been too easy with a serial console ;) I do have an async vt100 or similar console, but no way to plug it. Irritating, isn't it ?

A null modem and a second box would serve as well. OR maybe a serial
printer :)

Yes, but all here was a question of adapters. I found one. As i wrote before, i have now a problem of passing the parameters through the OF settings.

TC-one. Test Candidate 1. The one that was advised to be more visible on debian-installer pages yesterday or the day before ;)
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/powerpc/tc1/sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso

Arg, again hit by the late translation of the french sides, how well.

This time, i don't see any weird non_existing word... Ok, perhaps ;) I was just telling that yesterday or just before, someone wrote in devel ML that the "tc1" (i took it from him) was not well displayed, and that people where still getting beta4 and complaining about resolved bugs.

BTW, this is off-topic ;)

Thank you, and see you tomorrow ;)

Jerome