Re: iBook 800Mhz G3 fan on a lot

[ Seems I replied to the wrong person - sorry ]

> >> I've installed it, but it appears to require power management daemons
> >> that conflict with pmud, such as apmd. Is pmud not the recommended
> >power> management utility for Mac laptops?
> >
> >Sure is, please file a bug report to make it depend on either pmud,
> >pbbuttonsd or apmd (we seem to need a virtual package powermgmt-daemon
> >RSN).
>
> No cpufreqd does not depend on neither pmud, apmd or pbbuttond,
> it only uses kernel interfaces : either /proc/apm, /proc/pmu,
> /proc/acpi or sysfs equivalent.
>
> I already repied this to Rory offlist :
>
>  pradalie@ceruse:~$ apt-cache depends cpufreqd
>  cpufreqd
>    Depends: debconf
>    Depends: libc6
>
>  Moreover I looked at the code while tracking a missing fclose, and the
>  only stuff needed by cpufreqd is /dev/pmu, but not at all pmud.
>  cpufreqd speaks directly to the kernel.

OK, that makes sense. Perhaps cpufreqd should properly detect which sort
of hardware it in installed on during postinst (since /dev/apm is present
on PowerPC this might be just a case of reversed probe order; probing for
/dev/pmu before /dev/apm should sort this out).

	Michael