You've all heard this many times before ... but I really need help with this.
I have installed Debian 3.0 (ppc) onto my iMac. I have managed to arrange
dual-booting so that the machine boots into 1 of MacOS or Debian ... and all
is looking good. However, the exact setup for xfree86 is still eluding me.
My machine is a standard 350MHz iMac with 256 Meg of ram. As usual it has the
8 Meg ati 128 rage videocard. I have set aside about 60% of the hard drive
for the linux partition and installed the programs on the first of the
I am using X11 version 4.1.01. When startx was used I found the script
'bombed' ... and I was returned to the command line. To correct this I then
ran the script 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'. I made the following
1. I chose to manage the configuration using 'debconf'.
2. I chose the 'ati' videocard. (Should I have chosen the 'fb'
option ... ??)
3. I named the videocard: 'ATI Videocard'
4. In response to the prompt for the address of the videocard I entered
'PCI:00:16:00' which I believe is the videocard's address. I found this by
looking at the 'dmesg' file ... but I am not 100% sure this is correct.
5. I entered 8192k for the video memory value.
6. I responded <yes> to the question about using the framebuffer.
7. The XKB rule was entered as 'xfree86'
8. With keyboard model I entered 'macintosh'
9. I accepted the US keyboard layout
10. I entered no variation in keyboard
11. I entered no options in the keyboard question
12. I chose /dev/input/mice' for the mouse port
13. I answered <yes> to emulating 3 buttons (mouse)
14. I answered <no> to the scroll mouse question
15. I named the monitor 'iMac monitor'
16. I answered <no> the LCD question
17. I answerd <advanced> to the monitor question and inserted the suggested
values from the install file
18. I chose 1024 x 768, 800 x 600 and 640 x 480 as the three chosen display
19. I chose 8 colours for the default colour depth
20. I accepted all three options and finalised the procedure by getting the
program to write the files into their prroper locations.
startx still still produces a bomb-out! Can someone **please** cast an
experienced eye over these settings and maybe suggest where I have gone
wrong? I can type a printout of the logs ... but it's HUGE! Maybe you can
help me address this difficulty without typing it out fully.
Many thanks for help/pointers or whatever.
Irena & Richard Jenkins VK1NDV & VK1RJ