artsd eating up cpu time

I am running a 2.2.20 kernel using oss (soundcore and dmasound) on a beige G3.

When system notifications play artsd eats up a massive amound of cpu time (and
occassionally crashes reporting cpu overload).

I have read other messages suggesting this is a problem in the alsa oss
compatibility layer, but given the kernel I am running and the fact I am
using vanilla oss I cannot see how this is the issue.

Is it simply that artsd doesn't like oss or the dmasound driver? Unfortunately
I cannot upgrade my kernel as I have to boot off a floppy.

Adrian